September 2011 Jobs Report: Live Blog
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Welcome to TheStreet's jobs blog. Around this time each month, the Labor Department releases its rockin' read on the state of America's jobs market. Unfortunate for investors, the unemployment rate is expected to sit steady at 9.1%. Then again, at least the economy looks like it actually added jobs in September. Phew! We still remember the sting from zero total jobs added in August.
Consensus estimate is looking for 60,000 new jobs last month, helped by 100,000 additional jobs at U.S. companies. Some 45,000 Verizon workers returning from strike are expected to help September's numbers.
Here's a more detailed breakdown of our expectations, including a spiffy graph of the data leading up to today's report.So join us as we take our minds off Europe for just a sec. Guessing at what Merkel will say is no fun. It's impossible. At least we can make an educated call together on job numbers. -- Written by Chao Deng in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV