Rates fell to 3.94% in the past week, down from 4.01%, Freddie Mac said. That's the lowest rate since Freddie Mac began keeping records in 1971.
Rates on 15-year mortgages edged lower to 3.26% from 3.28%.
"There's nothing to gloat over," at BMO Capital Markets senior economist Sal Guatieri told Bloomberg. "The record low interest rates are a reflection of the times. The U.S. economy is fragile and the global economic headwinds remain brisk." A strict credit market, stubbornly high unemployment, Europe's debt crisis and concerns that the U.S. may fall into a double-dip recession all continue to weigh on the economy.
Data released Wednesday showed that mortgage loan application volume fell 4.3% last week from a week earlier, despite the low rates, the Mortgage Bankers Association said. Low rates did not even spur a great number of current homeowners to refinance; the refinance index tumbled 5.2% from the previous week, and the refinance share of all mortgage activity fell to 79.1%, from 79.7% in the previous week. The MBAA's purchase index fell 1.7% last week and remained 12.1% lower from the year-earlier week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV