"We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today," reads the statement from Apple's board. "Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives."
|Steve Jobs passed away Wednesday at the age of 56.|
Widely acknowledged as one of Silicon Valley's greatest innovators, Jobs stepped down from the Apple CEO's role in August, although was continuing as chairman of the company's board.
Jobs had fought pancreatic cancer during the last few years, but remained a visible figurehead at Apple, despite medical leaves of absence."Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives," the statement continued. "The world is immeasurably better because of Steve." "His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts." -- Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >>>Steve Jobs: Photo Gallery
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV