Shares of wrestling promoter WWE (WWE) got slammed last Spring when the company cut its dividend, but Mark Travis, portfolio manager for the Intrepid Small Cap Fund (ICMAX), says the stock is ready to get up off the mat.
"You have a clean balance sheet and $170 million in cash," says Travis. "The perception is that WWE wrestling events are suffering due to a weakened consumer, and while there may be some truth to that, you also have the TV contracts which mitigate the ticket sale volatility."
The $657 million fund, which garners 5 stars from Morningstar (MORN), has returned 5% over the past year, better than 88% of its peers in the small value category. Over the past three years, the fund has returned an average of 15% annually, outpacing 99% of its Morningstar rivals.
With the peak of hurricane season drawing to a close and Hurricane Irene causing less damage than anticipated, Travis likes Aspen Insurance. He says the stock is attractively priced, trading at 0.5 times book value, while offering a healthy 2.7% dividend."I think for someone with a two to three year investment horizon, it's an attractive security," Travis said. Trading at four times trailing earnings, Oshkosh (OSK) is another top pick for Travis. The maker of fire and military trucks has been pressured of late as municipalities and the military have cut back due to budget pressures, however, Travis believes that interest from billionaire investor Carl Icahn will push shares higher. And while people cut back their spending during a recession, they still get haircuts, which is why Travis is holding shares of Supercuts owner Regis (RGS). "They have over 12,000 units across the country and internationally and we think with Starboard agitating for board representation that the company's stock will climb into the high teens," says Travis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV