NEW YORK, Oct. 5, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon and Duke University will jointly develop health information technology initiatives to drive better care, expanded access and lower costs.
Under a strategic agreement announced Wednesday ( Oct. 5), Verizon Connected Healthcare Solutions, the company's health care practice group, and Duke will combine technical resources and personnel to focus on projects that leverage the inherent value of advanced communications technologies. Among the initial potential projects are mobile health applications and consumer health care education.
Verizon will provide the computing infrastructure to perform analytical processing and modeling, as well as implementation and operational staffing and resources required for technical development. Duke University will provide personnel including students, research and project management experts, and educational program development staff, as well as intellectual property and other research required for use in program-sponsored initiatives.
"The ties between academia and technology companies run long and deep, and this collaboration underscores Verizon's commitment to enabling the transformation of U.S. health care delivery through the common-sense application of health IT," said Dr. Peter Tippett, vice president of Verizon Connected Healthcare Solutions. "Leveraging Duke's renowned research capabilities will help Verizon's technical staff identify and deploy technologies that are needed to advance U.S. health care in a sustainable manner."The multiyear agreement will tap the collective strengths of both organizations and address the following areas:
- Technical Collaboration – Identification and assessment of health care-related technologies and solutions for technical and commercial viability, including conception, strategy, development and testing.
- Business Collaboration – A formal internship program under which Duke University students will be assigned to positions within Verizon and work with teams on the development and implementation of strategic business initiatives.
- Scientific Advisory Board – Staffed with senior representatives from both organizations, this group will review the progress of initiatives and offer input and guidance to meet program goals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV