NEW YORK, Oct. 5, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon and Duke University will jointly develop health information technology initiatives to drive better care, expanded access and lower costs.
Under a strategic agreement announced Wednesday ( Oct. 5), Verizon Connected Healthcare Solutions, the company's health care practice group, and Duke will combine technical resources and personnel to focus on projects that leverage the inherent value of advanced communications technologies. Among the initial potential projects are mobile health applications and consumer health care education.
Verizon will provide the computing infrastructure to perform analytical processing and modeling, as well as implementation and operational staffing and resources required for technical development. Duke University will provide personnel including students, research and project management experts, and educational program development staff, as well as intellectual property and other research required for use in program-sponsored initiatives.
"The ties between academia and technology companies run long and deep, and this collaboration underscores Verizon's commitment to enabling the transformation of U.S. health care delivery through the common-sense application of health IT," said Dr. Peter Tippett, vice president of Verizon Connected Healthcare Solutions. "Leveraging Duke's renowned research capabilities will help Verizon's technical staff identify and deploy technologies that are needed to advance U.S. health care in a sustainable manner."The multiyear agreement will tap the collective strengths of both organizations and address the following areas:
- Technical Collaboration – Identification and assessment of health care-related technologies and solutions for technical and commercial viability, including conception, strategy, development and testing.
- Business Collaboration – A formal internship program under which Duke University students will be assigned to positions within Verizon and work with teams on the development and implementation of strategic business initiatives.
- Scientific Advisory Board – Staffed with senior representatives from both organizations, this group will review the progress of initiatives and offer input and guidance to meet program goals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV