NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- Halloween does what it can to spread the trick-or-treating and parties across the country as fairly as possible, but some cities just get more of the treats.
Halloween is a pretty sweet time of year for Hershey (HSY), Tootsie Roll (TR) and whoever makes slutty Spongebob Squarepants costumes, but towns that know how to throw a party tend to get the most goodies. About 44% of Americans 18 and older plan to put on a costume this year, and more than 34% of all Americans plan to hit a Halloween party, according to the National Retail Federation.
That party percentage has been climbing steadily since 2005, when only 25% of Americans could commit to bobbing for apples, drinking pumpkin beer or dancing to the Thriller album. This year's party invitees include 59% of Americans 18 to 24, 50% ages 25 to 34 and 46% of Americans who make $50,000 a year or more.
That's a lot of cash to throw around during the holiday, and a handful of cities are banking on those costumed carousers and their crews to come to their towns and spend some cash. Some will let you march down their avenues with 60,000 new friends, some offer three nights of shows featuring Snoop Dogg, Soundgarden and Social Distortion and some will remind you that it's clothing optional.We put on our best mild-mannered reporter costumes and went around the country searching for Halloween party cities. We came back with candy-corn-stained teeth, a skull-crushing hangover and this collection of five holiday celebrations that bring in tons of costumed customers and pillowcases full of cash:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV