By Constance Gustke, special to CNBC
NEW YORK (CNBC) -- The volatility of recent months may be enough to send the average investor to the sidelines, but pros are quick to remind that it's the ups and downs, not the flat lines, that make money.
"They're there to serve you," says Pat Dorsey, director of research and strategy at Chicago-based Sanibel Captiva Trust Company. "Don't let it scare you or force you out of stocks at the wrong time."
No one's suggesting a day-trader approach, by playing the day-to-day swings, but investors can adjust their portfolios a number of ways to deal with the worst period of volatility since the height of the financial crisis in late 2008.
Tempering portfolios with big-cap stocks in recession-resistant businesses, inverse ETFs that rise when markets fall or even preferred stocks paying high dividends can add some ballast to your portfolio, say analysts. On the risk barometer, they run the gamut from low to high, depending on your stomach.
More from CNBC
Getting the Best of Market Volatility
Retailers Spar for Customers Using Layway
Are Traders Cheering for Market Declines?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV