How to Negotiate Your Next Deal
NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- Whether it's for a lease or trying to win an overseas vendor, small-business owners should master negotiation skills.
Jim Camp, an expert in the art of negotiation, says good negotiating requires limited compromise and throwing the "win-win" theory out the door to lead to profitable agreements.
|Whether it's for a lease or trying to win an overseas vendor, small-business owners should master negotiation skills.|
Camp is the author of two books: Start With No and No: the Only System of Negotiation You Need for Work and Home. Camp also founded the Camp Negotiation Institute, where he teaches "how to recognize, neutralize and overcome predatory negotiation tactics that result in poor outcomes." Organizations from Fortune 500 companies to the FBI and its hostage crisis team members have used Camp's negotiation training.
Camp answered a few questions on negotiation strategy:Why is it critical for small-business owners to know how to negotiate? Camp: It's very simple. Every penny they ever bring into their business is brought in because of an agreement with someone else. It's the most critical thing they do every day, but most haven't been trained at it. If they've been trained, they've been trained to give away and compromise, which is totally incorrect. And they wonder why they can't get to where they want to be. Where can negotiating skills come in handy? Camp: I have a small-business client that just
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV