American Ripe for Takeover: Is US Airways Looking?
It is well known that US Airways CEO Doug Parker would like nothing more than a merger with one of the Big Three carriers. He has publicly pursued Delta (DAL) and his pursuit of United (UAL) eventually became public. No doubt he has eyed AMR, the parent company of American Airlines.
AMR's current plight would seem to lend itself to a renewed effort at a merger on either of two fronts.
The first would be a takeover effort, given the recent steep decline in AMR's share price, which is down 69% this year. The decline means that one of the world's biggest and most important airlines now has a market capitalization well below $1 billion.The stock fell 32% on Monday,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV