In 2007, The Blackstone Group (BX) paid $26.9 billion for Hilton Hotels, paying $47.50 a share for the hotel giant. Blackstone paid a premium of 40% over the stock price at the time and financed the purchase with roughly $20.6 billion in debt. According to the Wall Street Journal, all of the banks that provided financing for the buyout also worked on Blackstone's 2007 initial public offering.
When the deal to buy Hilton was announced Jonathan Gray, a managing director at Blackstone, said in a press release that "It is hard to imagine a better strategic fit for us than Hilton." The buyout firm paid Hilton roughly 30 times earnings for its hotels, which include Hilton brands, Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites and the Waldorf Astoria. In an interview with Reuters in 2011, Hilton Chief Executive Chris Nassetta said that an I.P.O., "is certainly something we will consider at some point," and added that ultimately it's up to Blackstone. Since the deal was done, Blackstone has renegotiated roughly $4 billion in Hilton related debt.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV