TXU Corp. , renamed Energy Future Holdings, was bought for $43.3 billion by KKR and TPG in 2007. The private equity buyers valued the Texas-based utility company at $43.3 billion when counting the debt that came with it and paid $69.25 a share, 15% above the stock at the time the deal was announced. Because Texas's biggest electricity company was being sold to private investors after years as a public utility, buyers at the time said they would likely hold their investment for at least 5 years. KKR and TPG added $24.5 billion in new debt to finance the buyout.
After the recession hit, markets froze and energy prices fell. In 2008, the company had a pretax loss of almost $10.5 billion and paid almost $5 billion in interest on its debt stock of roughly $40 billion. The company has not yet registered an initial public offering filing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV