NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- In the boom years before the financial crisis and recession, private equity companies set records in the prices they paid to buy up public and private companies, oftentimes with the help of heavy debt financing.
From January 1, 2005 to January 1, 2008, almost 8,000 private equity deals were done for a total value of $1.81 trillion, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. During that time, KKR's (KKR) buyout of TXU was the largest takeover at a $43.3 billion price tag and The Carlyle Group was the leading dealmaker, with 125 takeovers at nearly $1 billion each. Since then, the total value of deals has fallen to roughly $970 billion, with the average deal size falling below $150 million from over $400 million a deal previously.
In late 2010 and early 2011, a string of companies like HCA Holdings (HCA), Freescale Semiconductor (FSL), Dollar General (DG) and Dunkin Brands (DNKN) bought in the I.P.O. boom were taken public by private equity owners as stock investors shrugged off recession fears and rebuilt their appetite for new investments after the Great Recession. Not all companies taken private by the deal makers in the pre-bust years were sold to public investors.
According to Dealogic, Global IPO activity has totaled $142.5 billion so far in 2011, down 8% from last year's equivalent total. In the third-quarter $27.6 billion of IPO activity was the worst since the second quarter of 2009.This slideshow has the 9 biggest takeover deals that are still on private equity company books. We'll be finding out in coming months and years if these investments will make it to public markets, continue to stay privately held or will be sold to a competitor.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV