By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
Monday's activity focused on the February 5 calls, with several large blocks bought for 60 cents as investors positioned for a rally, according to OptionMonster's real-time tracking systems. About 4,000 of those options traded against previous open interest of just 53 contracts at that strike, so these are new positions.
The company has a robust R&D pipeline including treatments in oncology, pain, and other areas. Early last month, after Nektar announced progress in tests involving an experimental drug for chronic pain, traders were focusing on the February 7 calls.The stock hasn't performed well since then and dropped another 8.66% to $4.38 Monday. Short interest is fairly high, and those bears have been rewarded. Now the bulls are positioning for the shares to reach at least $5.60 -- the $5 strike price plus the 60 cents premium paid for the February 5 calls Monday -- by expiration on Feb. 17. That would be a gain of nearly 28%, the point at which the calls would start to become profitable. Nektar is scheduled to report earnings results on Nov. 3. Najarian has no positions in NKTR.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV