At the time, I said I thought that it was a smart move on the part of Facebook (although the rumors of the day then said it was something that Mark Zuckerberg was insisting on over objections by Sheryl Sandberg). I remember a friend of mine, Bill Bishop, an American venture investor based in Beijing, was very skeptical at the time of such a deal working out. Bill pointed out then on his blog how many American Internet JVs had driven on the rocks of China over the last 5 years.
I was reminded of Bill's thoughts last week when I watched an interview of Qunar co-founder, Fritz Demopoulos, who recently sold his Chinese travel business to Baidu.
Fritz is a German, who got his MBA in the U.S., and then promptly went to China. He started two companies over there in the last 10 years. He has a unique perspective on the country and what it takes to succeed there. Fritz says flat out in the interview that he doesn't think that any U.S. internet company will ever be successful in China through a JV.
That Was ThenToday, things are much different in China. The market is flooded with capital. Any private company with a decent business plan can come up with some money. There is tremendous technical talent available and it is much cheaper than in the U.S. It is getting a little competitive for the best talent in Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen but the costs are still far lower than the U.S. and the supply is very high.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV