K-V Pharmaceuticals (KV-A)
Short interest: 21%
52-week high: $13.55
Current price: $1.35
Year-to-date performance relative to the Nasdaq Biotechnology Index: Down 47%
K-V Pharmaceuticals earned a spot on the most-shorted list through sheer stupidity and greed. The company angered patients, physicians, insurers and lawmakers by pricing the premature-birth prevention drug Makena at $1,500 per shot even though the active ingredient in the drug was already widely available for just $10 per shot. When K-V tried to shut down access to cheaper, generic versions of the drug, non-profit groups like the March of Dimes balked and lawmakers called for investigations.
K-V ultimately gave in to the pressure by dropping Makena's price to "just" $690 per shot but the damage was done. Makena sales have disappointed and the company's balance sheet is weighed down with debt, emboldening shorts who view K-V's equity as essentially worthless.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV