How Fund Investors Can Spread Gold Bets
When gold prices were around $300 in 2001, the fund emphasized large companies.
"Starting up a new mine is a risky proposition, and there isn't much room for error when prices are low," says portfolio manager Stephen Land.
As prices topped $400 in 2005, mine profits climbed, and Franklin began shifting to smaller stocks. This year, up to 25% of assets were in development companies that had not started production.
A holding is Osisko Mining (OSK:Toronto), which is developing a property in Canada. "When the development is completed, this will be the biggest gold mine in Canada," says Land.Readers Also Like: >> Governments Take Aim at Gold Miners' Pockets >> None of Your Mutual Funds Are Making Money
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV