Coventry Health Care, Inc. (NYSE: CVH) announced today that it has joined in partnership for 2012 with the nation’s largest and best known names in retail and pharmacy—Walgreens (NYSE, NASDAQ: WAG), Walmart, and Target—to offer a novel Medicare prescription drug plan known as First Health Value Plus (PDP). As Coventry’s newest Medicare Prescription Drug Plan, First Health Value Plus is the lowest premium, zero-dollar deductible Part D plan in the United States.
First Health Value Plus is built on one of the nation’s broadest preferred pharmacy networks and offers lower member co-payments for prescriptions filled at any one of the almost 14,000 combined Walgreens, Walmart, and Target pharmacy locations. The preferred network pharmacy benefit design allows members to receive free Tier 1 formulary prescriptions (most generics and select branded drugs) when filled at any Walgreens, Walmart, or Target pharmacy before reaching the coverage gap or “donut hole.” As a result, First Health Value Plus will potentially provide hundreds of dollars in annual savings to Medicare beneficiaries and be a competitive alternative versus the lowest premium stand-alone Part D plan that includes a deductible.
“In these challenging economic times, we believe our new Part D plan brings great value to beneficiaries and the Medicare program by establishing broad access to prescriptions through the most recognized names in the pharmacy and retail business, low monthly premiums, and no deductible, all of which are important to seniors. For the first time, we’ve also included value-added well-being items that are available only through our preferred partners,” said Nancy Cocozza, senior vice president of Medicare at Coventry Health Care.
First Health Value Plus Plan (PDP): Benefits and Details
- Average premium of $25.60 per month (range: $21.70 - $30.10)
- $0 annual deductible
One of the largest preferred pharmacy networks in the Medicare program
with nearly 14,000 locations
- Walgreens – 7,760 retail pharmacies
- Walmart – over 4,400 retail facilities including Walmart stores and Sam’s Clubs
- Target – more than 1,610 pharmacies
- $0 co-pay on Tier 1 formulary prescriptions (most generics and select branded drugs) at preferred pharmacies during the Part D initial coverage period; $7 co-pay on Tier 1 formulary prescriptions at other contracted pharmacies
- Lower co-pays on Tier 2 and Tier 3 formulary prescriptions when filled at preferred pharmacies
- 90-day supply of prescriptions available through retail pharmacies
- Access at Walmart and Target to preferred value generics (i.e., $4 generics), which will help members who enter the coverage gap
- Vouchers mailed to enrolled First Health Value Plus members for health and well-being products (e.g., multivitamins, calcium tablets) that can be redeemed at any preferred pharmacy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV