The basic materials sector closed the day down 2.5%. Synthesis Energy Sys Inc (SYMX), GeoMet Inc (GMET), Lake Shore Gold (LSG), and Nanophase Technologies Corporation (NANX) were all winners today within the basic materials sector with Newmont Mining Corporation (NEM) being today's featured basic materials winner. Newmont Mining Corporation rose 52 cents (0.8%) to $63.04 on average volume. Throughout the day, 7.6 million shares of Newmont Mining Corporation exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 8.3 million shares. Newmont Mining Corporation, together with its subsidiaries, engages in the acquisition, exploration, and production of gold and copper properties. The company's assets or operations are located in the United States, Australia, Peru, Indonesia, Ghana, Canada, New Zealand, and Mexico. Newmont Mining Corporation has a market cap of $30 billion and is part of the metals & mining industry. The company has a P/E ratio of 12.8, below the average metals & mining industry P/E ratio of 13.7 and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 0.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates Newmont as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, notable return on equity, attractive valuation levels, expanding profit margins and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow.
- You can view the full Newmont Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about NEM
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV