Rivera says that Green Bank, NA is looking to continue its "strong organic growth and always looking out for an acquisition that makes sense." The bank is set to complete the purchase of three more Houston-are branches from Main Street Bank in late October, and will also open another branch in Dallas later next month.
Frank Sorrentino III, CEO of North Jersey Community Bank of Englewood Cliffs, said that "there is a trend developing here, where the largest institutions are now charging their customers fees," and that the "Durbin Amendment is starting to show that price controls just don't work," since the largest banks "are rating their customers and charging the ones they don't think are profitable. At the end of the day here, the consumer has lost."
"We have always had free checking and free debit cards," Sorrentino said, adding that "yes we won't make as much money from interchange fees," but "we can make a profitable relationship with each of our clients because the relationship is not based on any particular service."
The privately held North Jersey Community bank had $656.2 million in total assets as of June 30, operating 8 offices in Bergen, Hudson and Monmouth counties in New Jersey.The bank was well-capitalized, with a Tier 1 leverage ratio of 8.24% and a total risk-based capital ratio of 10.81% as of June 30, according to SNL. When asked if the new fees being instituted by the largest banks are good news for his institution, Sorrentino said "every time the larger banks change their models, it is good for us," and that "as the largest bank gets larger, the smaller client falls through the cracks and doesn't get the good customer service any longer." "A great example of good customer service is that at our bank, if you call your loan officer, he or she can answer your deposit questions as well," he said.
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV