Tax Angles to Look for When Selling Business
BERKELEY HEIGHTS, N.J. ( TheStreet) -- Small-business owners spend a lifetime building their business. They work countless hours growing it into something of value. When the owners decide to sell, it is critical for them to do some tax planning to maximize their net proceeds. This is even more important for small-business owners when their business is their single biggest asset.
When selling a business, some of the key considerations from a tax perspective are:
|Small-business owners who sell their company need to understand how and when payment streams will be taxed.|
- The sale structure: asset vs. entity sales
- A payment stream: lump sum vs. installment
- A covenant not to compete
- Future compensation
The sale structure is simply a question of what is actually being sold. In an asset sale, the underlying assets are sold to the acquirer. Sales of sole proprietorships or single-member LLCs are always classified as asset sales. In an entity sale the entire business or entity is being sold, which usually includes the underlying liabilities.
The buyer and seller typically have divergent interests in the asset vs. entity sale question. Sellers will prefer to structure the deal as an entity sale, which are considered as a sale of a capital asset -- meaning that as long as the holding period is greater than a year, preferable long-term capital gains rates apply. Buyers will prefer to structure the deal as an asset purchase so they can select the best assets, exclude the liabilities and get a faster recovery via depreciation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV