A.M. Best Places Ratings Of Harleysville Mutual Insurance Company And Its Subsidiaries Under Review With Positive Implications
A.M. Best Co. has placed the financial strength rating (FSR) of A (Excellent) and issuer credit ratings (ICR) of “a” of Harleysville Insurance (Harleysville) and its property/casualty pooling members, including the lead company, Harleysville Mutual Insurance Company (Harleysville Mutual) under review with positive implications. All companies are headquartered in Harleysville, PA, except where specified. (See below for a detailed list of the companies and ratings.)
The rating actions reflect that Harleysville has entered into discussions with Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company (Nationwide Mutual) (Columbus, OH), a significantly larger and higher rated organization, to merge Harleysville Mutual into Nationwide Mutual. The transaction remains subject to regulatory approval and is projected to close during the first quarter of 2012. Harleysville’s ratings will remain under review through the close of the transaction, allowing time for additional discussions with management. The under review status reflects Nationwide Mutual’s geographically complementary distribution channels and the potentially positive impact of the merger on the current Harleysville pool, which may be integrated into the Nationwide Mutual pool on a future date.
Concurrently, the stock of Harleysville’s 46% publicly-traded downstream holding company, Harleysville Group Inc. (HGIC) [NASDAQ: HGIC] will be acquired through a holding company within the Nationwide organization. Subsequent to that transaction, HGIC will no longer be publicly traded. Accordingly, A.M. Best has placed the ICR of “bbb” and debt rating of “bbb” on $100 million 5.75% senior unsecured notes, due 2013 under review with positive implications for HGIC.
Additionally, A.M. Best has placed the FSR of A- (Excellent) and ICR of “a-” of Harleysville Life Insurance Company (Harleysville Life) under review with developing implications. These ratings will remain under review until A.M. Best meets with management and discusses the strategic plan for Harleysville Life, going forward.The FSR of A (Excellent) and ICR of “a” have been placed under review with positive implications for Harleysville Insurance and its following property/casualty members:
- Harleysville Mutual Insurance Company
- Harleysville Insurance Company of New York
- Harleysville Worcester Insurance Company
- Harleysville-Atlantic Insurance Company
- Harleysville Insurance Company of New Jersey
- Harleysville Insurance Company of Ohio
- Harleysville Insurance Company
- Harleysville Lake States Insurance Company
- Harleysville Preferred Insurance Company
- Harleysville Pennland Insurance Company
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV