SYDNEY, Australia (TheStreet) - Samsung's reported olive branch to Apple (AAPL) in the companies' Australian dispute should not be seen as a thaw in their global patent war, according to IP consultant Florian Mueller.
"It seems to me that the scope of a legal settlement in Australia would be very narrow," he told TheStreet. "At the most, it would settle the litigation in Australia -- but they still wouldn't be any closer to a worldwide settlement of all issues."
|Apple is locked in a global patent war with Samsung.|
Samsung made a proposal to Apple to resolve the patent row over touchscreen technology in its Galaxy Tab 10.1, according to Bloomberg, which said that details of the offer were not revealed. Apple's lawyer reportedly told the court that the iPad maker needs time to consider the proposal.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV