5. Synovus Financial
Shares of Synovus Financial (SNV) of Columbus, Ga., closed at $1.09 Wednesday, down 58% year-to-date. Based on a one-cent quarterly payout, the shares have a dividend yield of 3.67%.
The company had $28.3 billion in total assets as of June 30, with a nonperforming assets ratio of 6.25%, declining from 6.35% the previous quarter, but increasing from 5.94% in June 2010, according to SNL Financial.The company owes $967.9 million in TARP money. Synovus reported a second-quarter net loss attributable to common shareholders of $53.5 million, or seven cents a share, compared to a loss of $93.7 million, or 12 cents a share, in the second quarter of 2010. The company is still working through a high level of problem assets, although its provision for loan losses declined to $120.2 million in the second quarter, from $298.9 million a year earlier. Expenses on foreclosed real estate totaled $39.9 million in the second quarter, although this was a decline from $46.4 million a year earlier. Sterne Agee analyst Todd Hagerman on Sept. 12 reiterated his neutral rating for Synovus, saying "market speculation surrounding a potential distressed purchase of SNV... keep us cautious, but Neutral for now." The shares trade for 10 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of 11 cents, among analysts polled by FactSet, and less than half their June 30 tangible book value of $2.39, according to SNL. Out of 21 analysts covering Synovus, five rate the shares a buy, 14 have neutral ratings, and two analysts recommend selling the shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV