3. The Mosaic Company (MOS) is a producer and marketer of concentrated phosphate- and potash-based crop nutrients for the global agriculture industry. The company mines potash in Saskatchewan, New Mexico and Michigan and sells its products in North America and other global markets.
For the first quarter of fiscal 2012, Mosaic reported net sales of $3.1 billion, increasing 41% from $2.2 billion in the same quarter prior year. Net earnings were $526 million compared to $298 million in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin for the first quarter of fiscal 2012 was 28% compared to 23% a year ago, driven primarily by improved potash operating rates and higher selling prices.
Looking ahead, the company estimates total sales volumes for its potash segment in the range of 1.7 million to 1.9 million tons for the second quarter of fiscal 2012. For the next quarter, total sales volume for the phosphates segment is estimated to range from 3.1 to 3.5 million tons. Total capital spending for fiscal 2012 is projected between $1.6 billion and $1.9 billion.At the end of the quarter, cash and cash equivalents stood at $4 billion. Of the 19 analysts covering the stock, 11 recommend a buy. There are no sell ratings. The stock has projected upside of 46% in the next one year and is trading at 9.6 times its estimated 2011 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV