5. Monsanto (MON), operating through its subsidiaries, supplies agricultural products including seed, biotechnology trait products and herbicides to farmers. Monsanto manages two business segments: seeds and genomics; and agricultural productivity. The company's solutions improve productivity and reduce farming costs.
During the third quarter of fiscal 2011, revenue increased 21% year-over-year to $3.6 billion from $2.96 billion. Gross profit rose 41%, led by agricultural productivity. Gross margin improved 700 bps to 54% during this period.
Monsanto reported earnings of $680 million, or $1.26 per share, compared to $384 million, or 70 cents per share, in the year-ago quarter. The company generated free-cash flows of $237 million during the first nine months of fiscal 2011 over negative $1152 million during the corresponding period in 2010.Of the 22 analysts covering the stock, 64% recommend a buy. On average, analysts estimate 29% upside from current levels. The stock has gained 31% in the last one year and is trading at 21.9 times its estimated 2011 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV