Schlafly Pumpkin Ale
BeerAdvocate rating: A-
RateBeer Rating: 95 of 100
Anheuser Busch's Michelob Jack's Pumpkin Ale is deceptively decent for a big brewer's pumpkin beer, but it's not even the best pumpkin in St. Louis.
For beer drinkers who like pumpkin ale less as an ale and more as pumpkin pie in a bottle, it doesn't get better than St. Louis-base Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale. Nutmeg, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, clove and vanilla are all front and center, but don't overpower the pumpkin or even pumpkin-saturated-crust flavor.
It's available in six packs, but tread lightly: This is a big beer. At 8% ABV, it packs a much heftier wallop than grandma's pumpkin pie and isn't the brew to take swigs of between Halloween apple-bobbing sessions.It is, however, one of the more limited runs of pumpkin ale in the country. It's only available in September and October, and brewmaster Jim Ottolini is hard-pressed to keep it in supply. If you happen to have one on hand, hold it more tightly that Linus holds his blanket while waiting for the Great Pumpkin. -- Written by Jason Notte in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV