But the real killer app on Galaxy S II is the battery. Samsung says this unit has almost nine hours of talk time, as well as other impressive battery stats. But that actually understates the true performance. I routinely burned as much power as possible running the Wi-Fi, GPS, 4G network and Bluetooth all while profligately watching videos. And I still got easily all-day usage out of a single charge.
Good luck trying that with an iPhone or Droid or EVO.
What you don't get
As sweet as the Galaxy S II is, there are issues. BlackBerry (RIMM) users who must have their keyboards won't like this phone. And the case is a bit too plasticky, as well as not as durable as it could be. For example, the back battery cover came off much too easily when I dropped the phone.
Also, if you try to go off-contract -- if you, like me, refuse to sign any more long-term phone contracts -- this unit is pricey: You can spend $650 for certain versions of the Galaxy. That is a lot!Bottom line
The Galaxy S II is fast, light, powerful and filled with all the right bells and whistles for businesses. If your shop does the touch-based smartphone thing, assuming you can eat the cost this really is the phone to get. Better yet, the capabilities of this device make me feel that it will be relatively future-proof. The Galaxy S II will provide value no matter what else happens in the smartphone market. As I said, we are watching a star come to life in the smartphone galaxy with the Galaxy S II. >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV