Best-Performing Stocks Under $5 in 2011
5. Hansen Medical (HNSN)
Company Profile: Hansen Medical develops medical robotics designed for accurate positioning, manipulation and control of catheters and catheter-based technologies.Shares of Hansen Medical jumped to a 52-week high of $5.28 in July, but the rally began in early February after Philips Electronics purchased the rights to develop and market Hansen Medical's Fiber Optic Shape Sensing and Localization, or FOSSL, technology for an upfront payment of $29 million. Hansen Medical is also eligible for $78 million in future payments. Current Share Price: $3.49 (Sept. 28) 2011 Total Return: 129.5% Analyst Ratings: JPMorgan and Lazard Capital analysts rate Hansen Medical a "neutral," while Piper Jaffray and Ladenburg Thalmann analysts say the stock is a "buy." The average price target of $4.75 represents potential upside of 36%. TheStreet Ratings rates Hansen Medical a "sell," calling special attention to the company's weak operating cash flow.
4. Interphase (INPH) Company Profile: Interphase is a telecom-equipment maker. The company provides services for LTE and WiMAX, interworking gateways, packet processing, network connectivity, and security for key applications for the communications and enterprise markets. Interphase shares more than doubled on Feb. 11, a day after the company reported fourth-quarter financial results. The company said revenue in the quarter jumped 24% to $5.8 million as it swung to a quarterly profit. The stock hit a high of $7.59 in March but has been steadily pulling back since. Current Share Price: $4.68 (Sept. 28) 2011 Total Return: 162.2% Analyst Ratings: There are no research firms covering Interphase currently. TheStreet Ratings has a "sell" rating on the stock, which it has maintained since downgrading the stock from "hold" in July 2009. The latest report says Interphase's primary weakness is "feeble growth in its earnings per share."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV