10 Remedies for an Ailing Postal Service
Increasingly, the Postal Service has been adding 24-hour service to many locations, an effort to be more convenient for consumers and more competitive with the traditional business hours of competing services.
While greater automation seems to be an important part of ongoing moves, it is not likely supporters of increasing staffed hours will prevail. In fact, visiting the local post office beyond the business day is likely to get more difficult. With plans afoot to end Saturday mail delivery -- a move endorsed recently by the Obama administration -- it is likely local post offices will find their hours reduced.
If, however, more public-private partnerships move forward, deals with convenience stores and other retailers -- similar to the package delivery partnership recently announced by Amazon and 7-11 -- could make around-the-clock service a reality.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV