Most of the undercapitalized banks on the above list are operating under regulatory orders to achieve and maintain total risk-based capital ratios higher than 10%.
The list also includes financial strength ratings provided by Weiss Ratings. Weiss Ratings uses a very conservative ratings model, placing the greatest weight on capital strength, credit quality and earnings stability to assign ratings ranging from A-plus (Excellent) to E-minus (Very Weak).
The largest Florida institution with NPA exceeding 15% as of June 30 was Vision Bank of Panama City, which is a subsidiary of Park National Corp. (PRK) of Newark, Ohio. Vision Bank's NPA ratio was 16.58% as of June 30, improving from 23.37% the previous quarter. The bank's total risk-based capital ratio was a very strong 22.347%. The holding company has been profitable for the past 12 quarters, reporting second-quarter earnings to common shareholders of $18.9 million, or $1.22 a share, with an ROA of 1.11%, according to SNL Financial. Park National Corp. owes $100 million in government bailout funds received in December 2008, through the Troubled Assets Relief Program, or TARP.
The Florida bank with the highest concentration in nonperforming assets as of June 30 was Southern Commerce Bank, NA of Tampa, with NPA of 30.72%. The bank is operating under a May 2010 consent order with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, and as of June 30 was in compliance with the order's higher capital requirements, with a total risk-based capital ratio of 26.85%, while the agreement called for the bank to achieve and maintain a total risk-based capital ratio of 11%.
Florida's Largest BanksHere are the 10 largest Florida banks, along with key metrics as of March 31:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV