Why Gold Slumped; Why It Will Come Back
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- There are two reasons why the gold market, and indeed the entire commodity sector, got stuffed last week.
First, the "counterfeiter in chief," Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke managed to disappoint the gold market by deciding to sterilize the bond purchases made on the long end of the yield curve.
By offsetting the purchases of short-term Treasuries with sales of shorter duration notes, Bernanke will not increase the supply of money or dilute the currency to a greater extent than he already has in performing Operation Twist.But make no mistake, the global economy is faltering, and QE3 isn't far off. However, the gold market was expecting the Fed to do more in the way of easing during its latest two-day meeting -- like ceasing to pay interest on excess reserves. Therefore, in the short term, there will be selling pressure on all commodities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV