5. JPMorgan Chase is a global financial services firm operating in commercial banking, investment banking, asset management and private equity.
The company reported 2011 second-quarter net income of $5.4 billion, vs. $4.8 billion in the first quarter of the prior year. JPMorgan's investment banking and commercial banking operations fared well, while credit card charge-offs improved during the quarter. On the mortgage front, net charge-offs remain elevated and management expects credit losses in this segment to remain significant.
Regarding the company's balance sheet, CEO Jamie Dimon said, "We maintained our fortress balance sheet, ending the second quarter with a Basel I Tier 1 Common ratio of 10.1%. Our strong and growing capital base enabled us to buy back $3.5 billion of stock during the second quarter, and we will continue to buy back stock opportunistically. We estimate that our Basel III Tier 1 Common ratio was approximately 7.6% at the end of the second quarter. This level is well in excess of what is required today under existing rules and is greater than the level we expect will be required under the proposed rules for up to five years."JPMorgan provided credit and raised more than $990 billion capital and originated mortgages, offered credit cards, increased credit to small businesses, and lent to nonprofit organizations, government agencies and corporations. The stock is trading at a P/E of 6.6 based on estimated 2011 earnings. On average, analysts expect the stock to rise 57% over the next year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV