Updated from 4:15 p.m. ET to reflect Monday's market action, closing stock prices, added content on Exxon and Chevron.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- It's still an open question whether stocks are heading into an extended bear market or if the severe pullback this summer from the highs in late April is a just correction phase in a larger bullish pattern.
What seems certain though is that there will be plenty of volatility to deal with before the quandary gets resolved, and that's got investors looking for stocks that will hold steady when the broad market starts to yo-yo.
"The question on most investors' minds these days is: 'If or when will this become a new bear market, and what can one do to combat this incessant volatility?'," writes Sam Stovall, chief equity strategist at Standard & Poor's, in commentary on Monday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV