NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Netflix (NFLX) reportedly struck a streaming deal with DreamWorks Animation (DWA). But can the studio behind family hits like "Shrek" and "Madagascar" make up for the potential loss of Liberty Starz (LSTZA)content?
The New York Times reported on Sunday that DreamWorks completed a deal with Netflix that would replace a previous deal with HBO. Analysts predict that the deal between Netflix and DreamWorks is worth about $30 million per movie over an unspecified period of time, the newspaper said.
"In the end DreamWorks was kicked out of HBO and Netflix is a buyer of last resort," said Janney Capital Markets analyst Tony Wible. "Frankly, paying $30 million per film seems expensive and would make the Starz deal look cheap as the two studios there put out almost 30 movies a year versus two to three at DreamWorks."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV