WESTBOROUGH, Mass., Sept. 26, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- For the 6th consecutive year, BJ's Wholesale Club will partner with 13 of the country's leading cancer centers to hold "Pink Picnics" events. Held at local BJ's Wholesale Clubs, the picnic luncheons feature a doctor or specialist from a partner hospital and an inspirational speaker, who will share her experience with the disease. The Pink Picnics are a celebration of survival and are free and open to the public.
At each picnic, a physician will discuss the extraordinary work in battling the disease, happening at his or her cancer center. Each picnic will also feature an inspirational speaker who has been impacted by the disease, and cancer survivors will be invited to tell their personal stories about battling cancer. Additionally, all attendees will receive special gift bags.
"Many members of the BJ's Wholesale Club family have battled breast cancer or had a family member go through it; so it's an honor to hold the 'Pink Picnic' events to raise awareness and money that will go to the life-saving work being done at these cancer centers," said Jessica Newman, Manager of Community Relations.
In addition to hosting the Pink Picnics this October, which is Breast Cancer Awareness month, BJ's Wholesale Club will sell "Pink Ribbon" Club merchandise. As in years past, funds will be raised through this specially marked merchandise sold at all BJ's Wholesale Clubs and donated to the following 13 NCI-designated Cancer Centers:
- Cleveland Clinic Cancer Center at Hillcrest Hospital (OH)
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (MA)
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Norris Cotton Cancer Center (NH)
- Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center (NC)
- Georgetown University Hospital's Betty Lou Ourisman Breast Health Center (DC)
- H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute (FL)
- Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center (MD)
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute (NY)
- The Cancer Institute of New Jersey (NJ)
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals (PA)
- VCU Massey Cancer Center (VA)
- Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University (GA)
- Yale Cancer Center (CT)