European regulators concluded that Revlimid's benefit for patients with multiple myeloma outweighed the drug's risks.
The European Medicines Agency initiated the so-called Article 20 safety review of Revlimid based on data showing that long-term use of Revlimid in multiple myeloma patients may increase the number of secondary cancers even as the drug prolongs patient survival.
Revlimid is approved in multiple myeloma for patients who no longer respond to prior treatments, but Celgene is hoping to expand Revlimid's approval so that the drug will be used longer and in earlier stages of the bone marrow cancer.With the Article 20 review concluded in Celgenge's favor, European regulators are next expected to act on expanding Revlimid into earlier stages of multiple myeloma. Celgene plans to seek U.S. approval for expanded Revlimid use later this year. Celgene relies on Revlimid as the most important growth driver in its cancer drug franchise. Revlimid sales in the second quarter increased 35% to $795 million, handily beating expectations and spurring Celgene to raise its 2011 Revlimid sales forecast to a range of $3.15 billion to $3.25 billion. Celgene shares closed Thursday at $63.54. --Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV