By The Associated Press(equals)
The Dow Jones industrial average fell 391.01 points, or 3.5 percent, and closed at 10,733.83.The Standard & Poor's 500 index fell 37.20, or 3.2 percent, to 1,129.56 The Nasdaq composite fell 82.52, or 3.3 percent, to 2,455.67.
Benchmark crude slid $5.41 to finish at $80.51 per barrel in New York. Brent crude, used to price crude from foreign countries, fell $4.87 to finish at $105.49 in London. In other energy trading, heating oil dropped 8.57 cents to end at $2.8485 per gallon, while gasoline futures lost 10.65 cents to finish at $2.56 per gallon. Natural gas fell 2.5 cents to end at $3.705 per 1,000 cubic feet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV