ARLINGTON, Va. ( TheStreet) -- Think back to the last time you applied for a credit card. If you're like most people, you probably didn't read the fine print. Who has the time, let alone the patience, to wade through all that tiny, dense text, right?
Unfortunately, credit card companies bury important account information in the fine print, and being unaware of their crucial information can lead to misuse. How can you avoid such an unfortunate event?
|Card issuers bury vital information in fine print no one reads, so find one with transparent applications.|
Find an issuer with transparent applications.
Credit card application study
According to Card Hub's 2011 Credit Card Application Study, Capital One (COF) and Bank of America (BAC) do the best job of the 10 largest credit card companies in the U.S. at presenting key account terms clearly within their applications.
Besides tapping Capital One and BofA as having the most straightforward applications, Card Hub's study revealed a number of other important facts and trends, including further proof for increasing transparency throughout the credit card industry. The highlights are as follows:
- Nine of the 10 largest credit card companies in the U.S. increased their application clarity ratings relative to last year -- Wells Fargo (WFC) being the exception, but still falling less than one percentage point.
- The lowest score this year, Citi's (C) 82.1%, was more than 20 percentage points higher than last year's 59.3%, belonging to U.S. Bank (USB).
- U.S. Bank improved its clarity rating by more than 32 percentage points relative to last year.
- The most clearly listed terms across all issuers were: purchase APR, annual fee and the rewards earning policy.
- The least clearly listed terms across all issuers were: balance transfer fees and the rewards redemption policy.
Transparency within the credit card industry was a hot-button issue during the Great Recession. The CARD Act was said to have improved transparency by curtailing bait-and-switch tactics, eliminating outrageous penalty terms and, of course, requiring clearer disclosures from issuers. The results of Card Hub's Application Study simply provide further evidence that the industry's big boys have gotten the message that they must be straightforward with their customers. Still, they have a ways to go before you can truly trust that everything you need to know about your credit card will be laid out clearly on the application. So stick with the most transparent issuers and, depending on your exact needs, keep in mind that you might have to hunt a bit to find balance transfer fees and rewards redemption policies on online applications. You don't want any surprises when it comes to your hard-earned money, after all. >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV