PALO ALTO, Calif. (TheStreet) -- HP's (HPQ) board may be poised to appoint Meg Whitman as its next CEO, according to AllThingsD, although experts say that the tech giant could easily find its next leader internally.
With chatter about HP CEO Leo Apotheker's possible ouster reaching a crescendo, Whitman has emerged as the likeliest candidate to replace him.
|There are plenty of viable internal candidates for the HP hot seat|
Whitman, who left the CEO post at eBay (EBAY)in January 2008, would certainly be a high-profile hire, although not necessarily a great fit for HP, according to Charles King, president of tech research firm Pund-IT.
"I can't see her performing as anything other than a figurehead," he told TheStreet, noting that she lacks experience running a company of HP's scale and complexity.The no.1 PC maker sits astride both the consumer and enterprise worlds, and possesses a vast product portfolio stretching from servers and software to services. For this reason, there has been plenty of talk that HP could promote an existing executive to the CEO's role, most notably storage chief Dave Donatelli. Read on for more details on HP's would-be CEOs:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV