NEW YORK, ( TheStreet) -- HP's (HPQ) deeply dysfunctional board appears to be running the company off the rails. The presumed ouster of CEO Leo Apotheker and the apparent appointment of former EBay (EBAY) chief Meg Whitman is just the latest chapter in this saga.
The potential exit of Apotheker, after a one-year run of financial disappointments capped off by a stunning breakup plan, has led analysts and investors to create a list of dream candidates to take over the top HP job.
Should the Whitman gambit not work out, a few names of outside talent have popped up as the sort of steady hands that could take the wheel and avert disaster.
For any would-be candidate, HP's predicament -- stalled growth, brutal competition in hardware and a dicey transition to services and software -- is a daunting challenge. But for a certain breed of hardcharger, the turmoil is probably seen as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to bring a revered tech giant back to glory.Inside candidates, having been passed over the last time HP went CEO hunting, might be seen more favorably in this go-round. But several Wall Street types surveyed by TheStreet have dreamed up a sort of wish list of outsiders that might be good fits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV