Chevron Finalizes Deal to Buy Texaco
Updated from 5:53 p.m. Sunday
Chevron said it will pay 0.77 of its share for each Texaco share, or about $64.87 per share. In trading Friday, Texaco was off $1.88, or 3.3%, to $55.13. Chevron fell $3.06, or 3.5%, to $84.25.
On Friday, The Financial Times had said the two big oil companies were talking again. They talked last year, but never reached a merger agreement. In June 1999, Texaco called off the talks because its board saw "no compelling basis" to continue discussions as it found Chevron's proposal "unacceptable in all respects." Chevron said it was surprised Texaco rejected its "very competitive offer." The offer was said to be $70 a share.The company will be called ChevronTexaco. A press release about the deal said the companies expect to realize $1.2 billion in annual savings within six to nine months after the merger is completed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV