PALO ALTO, Calif. ( TheStreet) -- HP (HPQ) looks set to appoint former eBay (EBAY) chief Meg Whitman as its CEO, according to AllThingsD, which says that an announcement could come after market close.
Citing multiple sources close to the situation, AllThingsD reports that Whitman, recently ousted from eBay, is poised to become HP's next CEO. HP declined to comment when contacted by TheStreet, although AllThingsD reports that Whitman's appointment is "nearly a done deal."
Rumors that HP's board plans to oust incumbent CEO Leo Apotheker have swirled for the last couple of days, following a turbulent few months at the under-pressure tech giant. Barely a year into the job, Apotheker's attempts to revamp HP, including a possible selloff of its vast PC business, have proved unpopular with investors, and big questions are being asked about his strategic vision.One of the best-known faces in Silicon Valley, there had been speculation that Whitman would take an interim CEO's role at HP, although sources told AllThingsD that she will be taking over on a long-term basis. Chatter about Whitman's possible appointment, however, sent the company's shares down on Thursday. After surging on talk of Apotheker's departure on Wednesday, HP's stock was down 4.17% on Thursday. --Written by James Rogers in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV