5. Mackinack Financial
Shares of the thinly-traded Mackinack Financial (MFNC) of Manistique, Mich., closed at $5.00 Wednesday, returning 9% year-to-date.The shares traded for 0.4 times their June 30 tangible book value of $12.86, according to SNL Financial. Mackinack Financial had $492 million in total assets as of June 30, operating 13 mBank branches, mainly in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The holding company owes $11 million in TARP money. Its tangible common equity ratio was 8.93% as of June 30, according to SNL. Second-quarter net income available to common shareholders was $603,000, or 17 cents a share, compared to a net loss of $2.5 million, or 73 cents a share, during the second quarter of 2010. The provision for loan losses declined to $600,000 during the most recent quarter, from $2.8 million a year earlier. The company's second-quarter operating return on average assets (ROA) was 0.64% according to SNL Financial, which was the highest among this group of five bank and thrift holding companies. According to SNL, Mackinack's nonperforming assets ratio declined to 2.89% as of June 30, from 3.34% a year earlier.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV