Meanwhile, $96 billion food giant PepsiCo (PEP) is forming a solid if/then trade. An if/then trade is another name for a sideways consolidation -- it's a trade whose direction is contingent on which way shares break out of the channel. For Pepsi, resistance is currently $64.75, and support is at $60. That's a relatively wide channel, but its breakout implications are equally big as a result.
An if/then trade works like this: If shares of Pepsi break out above $64.75 resistance, then buy shares. If shares of Pepsi break down below $60, then this stock is a short candidate. Don't be fooled by the fact that shares are consolidating near the lower end of their range right now. Pepsi's positioning within the channel doesn't matter; it's Pepsi's exit from the channel that's technically significant.
Either way this trade ultimately works out, I'd recommend placing a protective stop back just within the channel.Pepsi, one of the top-yielding food and beverage stocks, is one of Scott Rothbort's 10 Low-Volatility Stocks for Rising Volatility.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV