The exact opposite setup is taking place in shares of Alcatel-Lucent (ALU), the American Depositary Receipt of the Paris-based communications firm. Not surprisingly, ALU is getting sold off hard this morning as the Euro Stoxx 50 Index sits on 4.4% losses this morning. In this case, the move is providing a short-side trigger in ALU.
Alcatel-Lucent is forming a bearish descending triangle right now. This formation is identified by horizontal support and downtrending resistance -- a combination that indicates bearish directional bias among this stock's market participants. Our support level is currently $3. That level is being testing this morning.
A confirmed breakdown below $3 is the signal to pull the trigger on a short of ALU. Traders looking for a leveraged way to trade the breakdown might want to consider some of ALU's December in-the-money puts -- they're looking like a good bargain right now. If nothing else, a triggered ALU trade will provide a decent hedge for investors who are net long. Of course, it's critical to wait for the breakdown to get confirmed before selling short or buying puts on this name.Consider a protective stop just above the upper resistance line at $3.40. >>Practice your stock trading strategies and win cash in our stock game.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV