WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. (TheStreet) -- It seems a mere throw-in point, but apparently only Barron's (NWS) made it, and it could very well stand as defining. When it comes to sharing secrets with the media, Hewlett Packard (HPQ) tends to leak like a sieve.
This is important because news broke yesterday that HP was going to kick CEO Leo Apotheker to the curb after only 9 months. The market rejoiced.
Bloomberg broke the story, citing two anonymous sources. Bloomberg--and perhaps all reports that followed, however--did not mention what Barron's did: HP has a history of leaking legitimate news.
This does not mean that the news is definite, or that traders were not overreacting to the possibility of change at the top of HP, probably troubled no matter who is in charge.Historically, HP is no Apple (AAPL.) Apple is notoriously tight-lipped. Take whatever you hear leaked from Cupertino, where Apple is headquartered, with an ice-cream scooper of salt. We can run through chapter and verse of HP leaks (ironically enough, few saw Apotheker's hiring coming) but Barron's speaks the larger truth: HP leaks come true, by and large. Anonymous sourcing forces traders into a guessing game. It's an imperfect game, to say the least, with a lot of losers. But about the only item to go on is whether the company's is classically a good leaker, like HP, or a bad one, like Apple.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV