PALO ALTO, Calif. ( TheStreet) -- With rumors of a CEO change swirling around HP (HPQ), questions are being asked about whether the company's board should go ahead and oust Leo Apotheker after less than a year on the job.
Meg Whitman, who left eBay (EBAY) in 2008, could be a candidate to replace Apotheker, according to Bloomberg, in a move that would herald yet more upheaval at the PC and server giant.
|HP CEO Leo Apotheker|
HP has not yet responded to a request for comment on this story.
Judging by the stock's surge on Wednesday, a rise of 6.7% to $23.98, investors see the potential change as a big-time positive. HP was the only component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average to finish in the green as the blue-chip index lost nearly 300 points.In an attempt to give the matter its due consideration, TheStreet is listing the pros and cons of ending Apotheker's turbulent reign in Palo Alto. Points For A new CEO could draw a line under a period of turmoil at HP, easing investor concerns about the company's future, according to Brian White, an analyst at Ticonderoga Securities. "We believe a new CEO could begin to build credibility for HP and join the company after quite a bit of damage has already been done," he explained, in a note released on Wednesday. "Keep in mind, stock is already down
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV