NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Shares of railroad companies tumbled Wednesday on concerns about lower coal shipments. Coal is a major category for railroads, and a significant drop in coal shipments could hurt railroad company profits.
On Wednesday, Alpha Natural Resources Inc. said it would ship less coal this year than it had previously expected because of declining demand from Asia and production shortfalls at some U.S. mines. Another company, Walter Energy Inc., also cut its coal production forecast for the second half of the year, and shares of coal companies declined broadly.
Railroads and coal companies posted some of the deepest declines in the stock market Wednesday.
In midday trading, railroad CSX Corp. dropped $1.13, or 6 percent, to $19.10. Over the past 52 weeks, its shares have traded between $17.98 and $27.06, and are down 26 percent in the past three months.Norfolk Southern Corp. shares tumbled $3.91, or 5.8 percent, to $63.63; Union Pacific Corp. lost $1.95, or 1.7 percent, to $86.66; and Genesee & Wyoming Inc. fell 81 cents to $48.69.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV