The split of Tyco into three units could be held up if debt owners organize in opposition, just as they did to the company's first breakup plan in 2007.
Tyco's spinoff of its $3 billion North American ADT residential security business and $4 billion flow control division will create two new publicly traded companies, in addition to a remaining Tyco International consisting of its $10 billion commercial fire and security division.
Monday's decision to split one company into a triumvirate is similar to 2007 plans by CEO Edward D. Breen to spin off Tyco's healthcare division that earned $10 billion in annual revenue and its electronics divisions that earned $12.8 billion in revenue. The two new companies are now called Covidien Ltd. (COV) and TE Connectivity Inc. (TEL).As in 2007, the key question will be whether shareholders and debt holders like the details of the plan. Tyco's stock has rallied 3.1 percent since the announcement because company management and analysts believe shares of the conglomerate will be more valuable when channeled into three smaller companies with a focused expertise. In a statement when the deal was announced, CEO Breen said that, "the new standalone companies will have greater flexibility to pursue their own focused strategies for growth." Independently, each company will have acquisition and growth strategies, according to the company's press release. For share owners, the spinoff has great upside. The plan is for current Tyco shareholders to own 100 percent of the three new companies and benefit from a more focused management and operating structure. On an analyst call about the deal, Breen said past 2007 spinoffs worked because each company, "has significantly outperform
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV