As a student at Duke University, she got a grant to build a socially responsible clothing company and traveled to Sri Lanka to do it. There she started making fashion-forward T-shirts for the collegiate customer in a small, "living-wage" garment factory she says she supported for two years. The first order was shipped in April 2009 -- to Duke University, of course.
|School House does about $1 million in sales in a $4 billion market, but that just means it has room to grow, founder Rachel Weeks says.|
Since then, School House has expanded its roster of clients to 100 colleges across the U.S. and one in Canada, with five full-time employees.
School House has since manufacturing back to the U.S., during a time it's needed "more than ever," Weeks says."The success of our brand has been a testament to two things -- our take on collegiate design and tailoring each collection by honoring campus-specific trends and cultural idiosyncrasies of each school," she says. Commingling the words "fashion," "feminism" and "social responsibility" into her interview with TheStreet, Weeks and School House are an obvious choice for winner of this year's SCORE Outstanding Woman-owned Small Business. How did you get into this line of work? Weeks: When I was at Duke, I just really felt like there was a lack of
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV