As a student at Duke University, she got a grant to build a socially responsible clothing company and traveled to Sri Lanka to do it. There she started making fashion-forward T-shirts for the collegiate customer in a small, "living-wage" garment factory she says she supported for two years. The first order was shipped in April 2009 -- to Duke University, of course.
|School House does about $1 million in sales in a $4 billion market, but that just means it has room to grow, founder Rachel Weeks says.|
Since then, School House has expanded its roster of clients to 100 colleges across the U.S. and one in Canada, with five full-time employees.
School House has since manufacturing back to the U.S., during a time it's needed "more than ever," Weeks says."The success of our brand has been a testament to two things -- our take on collegiate design and tailoring each collection by honoring campus-specific trends and cultural idiosyncrasies of each school," she says. Commingling the words "fashion," "feminism" and "social responsibility" into her interview with TheStreet, Weeks and School House are an obvious choice for winner of this year's SCORE Outstanding Woman-owned Small Business. How did you get into this line of work? Weeks: When I was at Duke, I just really felt like there was a lack of
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV